Thursday, February 9, 2012

Reflection on presentation

Reflection on Assembly
Senior Comp

I missed a big part of this assembly but from what I did see and was told about it was very powerful and a good message to the students at Thomas. I think seeing real prisoners and hearing directly from them really makes people take in the messages they have, instead of the white noise of DARE officers or teachers just saying “drugs are bad”. I watch shows on TV from time to time about prison life but I feel like they just shoot it for the entertaining parts, while this presentation showed me the pain and difficulties from real people right in front of me. I could see the pain on one of the guys who was in either the Aryan Brotherhood or Skinheads when he spoke about how he was good friends with one of the black members of the group but in the lunchroom would have to sit across the room and not say a word because of how bad race segregation is among prisoners. The raw unedited dialogue from them also made it more powerful and serious because it was like they were talking to real people and had passion behind it, instead of being child friendly and softening up what they want to say. My only dislike was that the lady who was standing up there with them kept cutting them off and became quite annoying. One of the men presenting would be telling some serious stuff and in a story and she would just chime in something stupid and disrupt what was being said. I could tell she bothered those presenting along with us watching. I also wish there was more time because, even though I missed a good portion, I heard that a lot of the guys didn’t even get to talk and the ones who I saw didn’t get to give their full story and it seemed kind of rushed. I wish I would’ve seen the skit because I heard it was very powerful and non of our class was laughing or being rude which must have meant it was powerful because our class has been known to be rude and immature about a lot of presentations we have.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got to catch the end of it! I was impressed with what I heard, and when the teachers weren't in there, I heard that there was even more good discussion and such (sorry that it got interrupted)

    ReplyDelete